Today held one of those moments when I found myself trying to read the mind of my two year old. Always an entertaining moment.
As I was getting ready for church, I left Mary (5m) on the bed to wiggle and giggle alone. You'd think that after five months, I'd finally learn that my other daughter, Hannah (freshly 2), has a sixth sense--the "Mom-is-Busy-and-Mary-is-Alone" sense. Well. I forgot about that sense this morning, and all of a sudden, I heard a scream and a long silence before the next scream. Uh oh. The longer the space between the first two screams, the more painful the incident. I ran out to the bed to find Hannah slinking guiltily off the bed, and Mary screaming with some blood under her eye. "What happened?!?!?!" I yelped...as if I expected Hannah to tell me exactly what happened... I looked at her guilty face and assumed she had scratched Mary. I looked at her nails. They weren't long enough to break skin. How did she make her little sister bleed? There were no weapons of destruction nearby. I was clueless.
But then I noticed a suspicious mark above Mary's eye. Huh? A red mark above her eye and a cut underneath her eye... And then the pieces all came together: no sharp nails, no weapons nearby, two marks a couple inches apart. Hannah bit Mary's eye!!!!!
What was Hannah thinking when she bit Mary's eye????? I found myself laughing at the possibilities...
"I need to assert my dominance. She is the beta sister. I am the alpha sister."
"I wonder what her eyeball tastes like?"
"Maybe biting her eye will make her laugh!"
"She has too many eyelashes. Here. I'll get rid of some."
"I'm hungry"
Who knows. But sometimes you just have to wonder. What are those two year olds thinking??!?!?!
Mary is so cute and at such a cute age. I go with the "what does Mary's eye taste like?
ReplyDelete